Marketplace open enrollment is available November 1, 2016 through January 31, 2017.
Contact MAP for help enrolling in a Marketplace health insurance plan!
LSEM's Marketplace Assistance Program (MAP) helps individuals and families access no-cost or low-cost health insurance through the Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace (Marketplace).
MAP can help you:
· Find out if you qualify for no-cost or low-cost health insurance through the Marketplace;
· Apply for the no-cost or low-cost Marketplace plan that best fits your needs;
· Re-enroll in a no-cost or low-cost Marketplace plan that best fits your needs;
· Apply for an exemption from the penalty if you don't have health insurance.
MAP also works with school district staff and other community organizations to find individuals and families who need help accessing Marketplace insurance. We also work closely with two other programs at LSEM: Connecting Kids to Coverage and Advocates for Family Health, both of which help children, parents, and pregnant women get their healthcare coverage needs met.
What is the Marketplace?
The Marketplace is a website that lets people compare and buy the health insurance plan that fits their budget and needs. You can use the Marketplace if you are an individual or family who doesn't have access to affordable health insurance coverage through an employer.
What Kinds of Financial Help are Available?
You may qualify for no-cost or low-cost coverage through the Marketplace. Premium tax credits and cost-sharing reductions are available to help make health care more affordable. Premium tax credits lower the monthly premium you pay for insurance. Cost-sharing reductions lower your out of pocket costs when you use medical care. This financial help uses a sliding scale, so individuals and families making less money pay a smaller amount for health insurance and health care.
What Happens if I don't buy Health Insurance?
Most Americans are now required to have health insurance or pay a penalty when they file their taxes. If you didn't have health insurance this year, or won't have health insurance next year, you may be able to apply for an exemption from the tax penalty through the Marketplace.
If you need help accessing health insurance through the Marketplace, or you would like to learn more about the Marketplace Assistance Program (MAP), please contact Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, through Sami Schrage at (314) 256-8753.
Other Helpful Resources
- Health Reform FAQ: Answers about the new health insurance rules and the Health Insurance Marketplace from the Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Subsidy Calculator: Also from the Kaiser Family Foundation, this page gives an estimate of what financial help you can get through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Healthcare.gov: Find out more about your health insurance options and how to apply for coverage.
Funding for this project was provided in part by The Missouri Foundation for Health. The Missouri Foundation for Health is a philanthropic organization whose vision is to improve the health of the people in the communities it serves.
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri is a member of the Cover Missouri Coalition, a project of the Missouri Foundation for Health to promote quality, affordable health coverage for every Missourian.
Learn more at www.covermissouri.org .