We keep kids in school by addressing unequal, race-based school practices. We also help kids get a quality education, whether they are in school, suspended or expelled.
We can help if a child is
- Reading below grade level
- Being bullied and the school is not responding
- Being unfairly disciplined
- Having problems enrolling in school
- Suspended in-school, out-of- school, or expelled with no schoolwork support
- Being exposed to substandard school buildings
- FREE civil legal help
- FREE workshops for students, parents, and caregivers
- FREE workshops for churches and community groups
The Education Justice Program works to disrupt the “School-to-Prison-Pipeline” by ensuring that every child receives a good education, in a safe school, no matter what a child looks like or where a child is from. Our mission is to make that happen.
Counties We Serve
Focusing on St. Louis City and County and also serving Adair; Clark; Franklin; Jefferson; Knox; Lewis; Lincoln; Macon; Marion; Monroe; Montgomery; Pike; Ralls; St. Charles; Schuyler; Scotland; Shelby; Warren and Washington counties.
Contact Us At:
Luz María Henríquez, Managing Attorney
Kenya Brumfield-Young, Paralegal/Office Manager
Clarissa Jackson, Social Worker
Susannah Porter Lake, Attorney
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education: https://dese.mo.gov/
- U.S. Department of Education on School Climate and Discipline: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/school-discipline/index.html
- American Civil Liberties Union-Missouri From School to Prison, Missouri’s Pipeline of Injustice: https://www.aclu-mo.org/issues/criminal-justice/pipeline-of-injustice/