Get Free Help for Flooding Prevention and Preparation
Flood risk is rising in Missouri. Flooding occurs in the state every five days, on average, and the personal impact can be devastating. Just 1 inch of floodwater in a home can cause more than $10,000 in damage.
But there are steps you can take to protect yourself, your home, and your family — and a new, free resource that explains how. The nonprofit Legal Services Corporation recently launched HeartlandFloodHelp.org, which you can use to find:
- The level of flood risk for your home, based on its address.
- Free and low-cost ways to protect your home, family, and finances.
- Tips for what to do when a flood-producing storm is approaching.
- Guidance for cleaning and repairing your home after a flood.
- Local organizations that can help you prepare for and recover from a flood.
- Information on affordable flood insurance plans.
The website was designed to give homeowners and renters information they can use to lessen the damage that flooding can cause, and the steps they can take so they are better prepared for recovery if damage does occur.
With rising flood risk, being prepared has never been more important. Visit HeartlandFloodHelp.org to get started.