Volunteer Lawyers help “level the field” by providing access to justice for Legal Services’ clients. Areas of law include:
- Guardianships – Child and disabled adult
- Alternatives to Guardianships – Temporary transfers of custody and relative caregiver affidavits
- Estate Planning – Drafting wills, powers of attorney, advanced directives and beneficiary deeds
- Family Law – Representation of domestic violence survivors in orders of protection, divorces, paternity & custody actions
- Housing/Tenant Representation – Associate circuit court representation and negotiations in residential tenant eviction actions
- Immigration – Naturalizations and permanent resident status applications
- Unemployment matters – Preliminary appeals (telephone hearings) from denials of MO unemployment benefits
- Consumer Actions – Collection of judgments on behalf of low-income individuals (ie. tenants seeking to recoup judgments against landlords)
- Community Economic Development – Microenterprise Program and Vacant Property Initiative – helping low-income businesses and non-profits with legal matters.
Join the VLP Team and help in one of the following ways:
COMMUNITY CLINICS: Provide legal information to individuals
REPRESENT: Provide legal representation for clients.
EDUCATE/TRAIN: Present legal infromation to community organizations and/or CLEs for other volunteers.
MENTOR: Provide guidance by supporting another volunteer’s professional development.
FUNDING: Support Legal Services by making a donation to support VLP.
- Franklin County
- Jefferson County
- Lincoln County
- St. Charles County
- St. Louis City
- St. Louis County
- Warren County
The Volunteer Lawyers Program Staff
Mary Dyson, Paralegal
Melissa Zensen, Legal Services Coordinator