The Volunteer Lawyers Program provides free civil legal services for those who cannot afford an attorney to help them with legal matters.
Assisting Pro Bono Clients with Naturalization and Permanent Residency Status CLE
Join us for a CLE seminar with the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis on Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm at Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, 4232 Forest Park Ave., St. Louis.
This special session, hosted by Legal Services Immigration Managing Attorney Kim Allen, is limited to participants who will commit to taking on at least one pro bono immigration client.
Lunch is provided, but advance registration is required by August 20th.
BAMSL Pro Bono CLE / Immigration
Volunteer Lawyers help “level the field” by providing access to justice for Legal Services’ clients. Areas of law include:
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
- Guardianships – Child and disabled adult
- Alternatives to Guardianships – Temporary transfers of custody and relative caregiver affidavits
- Estate Planning – Drafting wills, powers of attorney, advanced directives and beneficiary deeds
- Family Law – Representation of domestic violence survivors in orders of protection, divorces, paternity & custody actions
- Housing/Tenant Representation – Associate circuit court representation and negotiations in residential tenant eviction actions
- Immigration – Naturalizations and permanent resident status applications
- Unemployment matters – Preliminary appeals (telephone hearings) from denials of MO unemployment benefits
- Consumer Actions – Collection of judgments on behalf of low-income individuals (ie. tenants seeking to recoup judgments against landlords)
- Community Economic Development – Microenterprise Program and Vacant Property Initiative – helping low-income businesses and non-profits with legal matters.
Join the VLP Team and help in one of the following ways:
COMMUNITY CLINICS: Provide legal information to individuals
REPRESENT: Provide legal representation for clients.
EDUCATE/TRAIN: Present legal infromation to community organizations and/or CLEs for other volunteers.
MENTOR: Provide guidance by supporting another volunteer’s professional development.
FUNDING: Support Legal Services by making a donation to support VLP.
- Franklin County
- Jefferson County
- Lincoln County
- St. Charles County
- St. Louis City
- St. Louis County
- Warren County
The Volunteer Lawyers Program Staff
Patti Hageman, Director, Attorney
Mary Dyson, Paralegal